Respondus Studymate is a desktop software instructors can download and use to create simple, animation-based activities and games using custom course content.
How do I get started?
Respondus Studymate offers several different formats for creating learning games. Consider which ones are most relevant for your course.
- Challenge: Similar to the game show Jeopardy, assign values to questions and arrange them according to categories of your choice. Instructors can set the difficulty of each question and students can freely choose which question they want to answer. It is only available for multiple choice questions.
- Crossword: Make crossword puzzles with a series of one-answer questions. Answers can have a maximum of 180 characters.
- Fact Cards: Help students remember different facts for your course. Students can go through them one-by-one or randomly shuffle through the set. (Fact Cards Plus has an additional feature where students can choose which category of questions they want help with.)
- Fill in the Blank: Create short answer questions where students can fill in the response field with the correct answer.
- Flash Cards: Ask questions using flash cards where students can flip the cards in order to see the correct answer. Students can also choose to show the answers first to help them learn what specific terms are about.
- Glossary: Create a glossary of important terms and facts students need to learn before your exam. Words are arranged alphabetically based on the first letter of the term.
- Matching: Have students match a series of questions with a list of correct responses. Each set will ask 6 questions and students have to choose from 9 potential answers.
- Pick A Letter: Similar to the game of Hangman, students respond to questions by choosing the letters that spell the correct answer.
- Quiz: Create quizzes from multiple choice or calculated questions.
Instructors who have not used Respondus Studymate can download it by following these steps:
- Go to the: Software Distribution site, and sign in with your CWL.
- Select "Respondus Studymate Campus" from the Teaching & Learning tab.
- Click "Add to Cart", then "Check Out".
- Follow the prompts until you reach an Order Summary screen with a download link.
Note that the authoring software currently only works on the Windows platform.
Please write down the following when they appear during the download process (you will need this information when installing the software):
- Institution Name: University of British Columbia
- Local Support Contact(s): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Installation Password