- 1 Content
- 1.1 Q: How do I add content to a course?
- 1.2 Q: How can I add library readings to my course?
- 1.3 Q: How do I add videos?
- 1.4 Q: How do I create an assignment?
- 1.5 Q: How do I download assignments?
- 1.6 Q: If I delete content, how do I get back?
- 1.7 Q: How do I preview my course (see the student view)?
Q: How do I add content to a course?
You can add various file types and HTML content to Connect and share this content with students in a container called a Content Area.
- You can either upload content directly into the a content area or link to content from your Course Files].
- To upload content directly to any content area click on Build Content and select File
- You can then choose to Browse the Content Collection and link to one of your course files
- OR you can select Browse My Computer and select and upload a file from your computer.
- After selecting a file name it and set the required file options and click Submit.
- You can upload most file types into Connect (.doc, .docx, .pdf, .html, .jpeg, .gif, .png, .ppt, .pps, .rtf, .xls etc)
Q: How can I add library readings to my course?
The Library Online Course Reserves (LOCR) is UBC's application for requesting and managing course reserves. Instructors use the application to request a list of course materials, and enrolled students receive access to those materials.
With LOCR, you can:
- Easily add articles, books, web links and media resources
- Request that the Library create PDFs of book chapters or upload your own PDFs
- Get a hyperlink for your course materials that is accessible (only) to students enrolled in your course
- Reactivate readings in future terms quickly
- Let the library staff worry about copyright!
In Connect, you can access LOCR from the Library tab in the top-right menu. For more information on using LOCR, please see the detailed instructions provided on the UBC Library website.
If your LOCR displays a Not Registered message after 24 hours, please contact your Subject Liaison Librarian
Q: How do I add videos?
- When creating a course item in a content editor, click the Mashups button then click on 'Kaltura Media'
- Choose a media file that already exists in My Media by clicking select for a video OR Choose "Add New" to choose between "Media Upload", "Webcam Recording", or "CaptureSpace" on the top right corner
- If you clicked on:
- "Media Upload" then choose a file to upload from your computer
- "Webcam Recording" then click allow on the Flash Player Settings, Click anywhere to start and stop your video recording, click save, then fill out the required fields, then click save again
- "CaptureSpace" more information when this option becomes available.
- If you clicked on:
Q: How do I create an assignment?
To create an assignment, in the content area of your choice, click on Assessments, then Assignments in the drop down menu. You will need to set up the assignment with the following information:
- A name for your assignment
- Due date (optional)
- Maximum points possible
- Submission details (individual or groups and number of attempts)
- Make the assignment available
- Set the availability dates (optional)
- Click the Submit button when ready
Q: How do I download assignments?
You can download assignments that students submitted as a file, such as a Word Document or PDF, in the Grade Center.
- Under Course Management on the left menu, click on the Grade Center link
- Click Full Grade Center or Assignments
- In the Grade Center, scroll to find the assignment column you will be grading
- Click on the chevron button beside the assignment name
- In the pop-up menu, click Assignment File Download
- You will be given the option to download individual student files or select all files at the top
- Click the Submit button to download
Q: If I delete content, how do I get back?
There is no built-in functionality in Connect that allows us to retrieve anything that has been deleted. If what you have deleted is a tool or a piece of content that can be restored by recreating it or uploading it to the course again, you'll need to do this manually.
If you've deleted any student data that you will need back, please report it immediately to your instructional support unit. UBC IT takes regular backups of Connect, however, we only keep the data for about a month's time, so if it's reported any later we may not be able to recover your data.
Once you report a deletion, it can take around a week for us to recover the deleted content. In most cases, the content cannot be directly replaced in the course, but it will be uploaded to Connect into a dummy course area for you to review.
Q: How do I preview my course (see the student view)?
There are two ways to preview a course in Connect. The first is turning off Edit Mode and the second is entering Student Preview.
For a quick way to preview a course, turn off Edit Mode. The Edit Mode setting is on the top right corner of your course. Turn off Edit Mode by clicking on the ON button. When Edit Mode is off, the OFF button should appear.
The Student Preview mode allows you to experience your course as a student. To enter Student Preview, click on the Enter Student Preview button, which is beside the Edit Mode button, on the top right corner of your course. A preview user account will be created and you can submit assignments, attempt assessments and even view My Grades.
Please note that you will not be able to preview any content or tools in your course using Student Preview if the course has not started. You will need to exit Student Preview to edit your course or to grade students. Click the Exit Preview button at the top bar to exit Student Preview. You will then be given the option to save or delete the preview user account data.