Clickers are wireless handheld devices that allow students to respond individually to in-class polls and quizzes, sending instant responses from the whole class to the instructor's computer. Clickers are also known as a type of Classroom Response System (CRS).
- 1 Faculty examples How are faculty using this tool?
- 2 Getting started How do I get started?
- 3 Available support What support is available?
- 4 Frequently asked questions FAQ
How are faculty using this tool?
Using iClickers in Physics Courses
Marcello Pavan uses iClickers to get the class engaged. Breaking up the lecturing with an in-class activity really helps to keep the class focused and interested. iClickers are great for checking if most students are "getting it”, and if not, it provides a perfect segue into a class discussion...
Using iClickers in Psychology Courses
Catherine Rawn uses clickers every class period for numerous purposes. She asks "multiple choice questions to test whether students understand a previous concept before moving on to something new, to spark discussion... (ARTS ISIT, 2016)
How do I get started?
Clickers work in-class with multiple-choice questions, and effective questions engage students in higher-level learning throughout a class session. Consider what questions might work well and when to present them.
In addition to taking basic attendance, Clicker exercises can help:
- Test student knowledge and opinions at the beginning of a class
- Test (or re-test) student knowledge and opinions after learning activities
- Support peer instruction, wherein students discuss answers they gave to a question
- Find gaps in a class's understanding of course material
To use Clickers with Canvas, you will need to download the iClicker Classic software onto your computer. You can do so here:
- iClicker Download (Windows) - Software Distribution
- iClicker for macOS - please refer to the following guide: macOS iClicker Installation Instructions
Windows Download Instructions
- Access the software distribution site at the link above and sign in with your CWL.
- Select "iClicker Classic" from the Teaching & Learning tab.
- Click "Add to Cart", then "Check Out".
- Follow the prompts until you reach an Order Summary screen with a download link.
If you need to download a copy of iClicker and do not have/need to get a CWL, you can download it directly from the iClicker Website (note: downloading iClicker this way does not allow for synchronization with Canvas), or contact support for more help.
Add iClicker Remote Registration to a Canvas Course
You can add a link to iClicker on the side bar of your Canvas course by following these steps:
- Go to your course and click settings.
- Click on the navigation tab.
- Drag iClicker from the list of disabled navigation items to the list of enabled navigation items.
- Save your change.
Your students will now be able to register their clickers to your course. While the email address field must be filled out, students not do need to provide a real email address.
Students might see the following message when they try to register their clicker in Canvas which is caused by the browser blocking third party cookies from loading:
- "Incomplete information received, please enable cookies or contact support"
To register a student clicker in Canvas, students will need to allow cookies following the steps below:
- Go to File > Preferences > Privacy & Security or enter about:preferences#privacy into the browser’s URL field
- Under History in “Firefox will” field, select “Use custom settings for History”
- Check the checkbox next to “Accept cookies from websites”
- Click Exceptions…
- Enter the following into the Address field: https://lmsreg.iclicker.com:443
- Click Allow, then Save Changes
- Enter chrome://settings/content/cookies into browser’s URL field
- Besides the heading Allow, click ADD
- Enter the following into the Site field: https://lmsreg.iclicker.com:443
- Click ADD
Set up your classroom
Your classroom will need a receiver base station to receive and process student votes. Check to see if your room already has a clicker base installed (see list of rooms for Vancouver or Okanagan). If it is not equipped:
- Get your classroom equipped. An iClicker receiver base can be installed for you (as long as the room has a podium to lock the iClicker receiver base into). Please contact email@example.com to have one installed.
- If a base cannot be installed, you can use a portable iClicker receiver base. The LT Hub will loan you a portable base that can be used in any room. Check the list of rooms to see which frequency you can use.
The iClicker receiver base can be connected via USB to a laptop or podium computer. The USB port for your flash drive can be found on the right side of the iClicker base receiver.
If using a fixed classroom base, the iClicker USB switcher near the podium (see picture) has to be set to either a laptop or podium computer input in order for the receiver to function. The location of the switcher may vary depending on the design of the podium. To switch the input, press and hold the button on the switcher for two seconds.
Learn more about connecting iClicker with classroom hardware.
What support is available?
Additional questions about Clickers are answered in the FAQ for Instructors in the Wiki.