UBC has a YouTube EDU account - http://youtube.com/ubc/. This account allows for educational uploads and videos uploaded are not restricted by size or length.
Uploading to UBC's YouTube EDU Account
UBC faculty/staff can request the ability to upload to UBC's YouTube EDU account. Uploads are done via a special wiki page.
To do this, you first need to create a UBC wiki account by logging in with your CWL here and then email Joe Zerdin at the Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology (CTLT) with your request for access.
Once you have access, you will be able to upload one video at a time via this page
- You will need to enter a title, description, some tags/keywords, and set a category for your video.
- Videos are automatically set to be public (unless you select the unlisted option) and will become available at http://youtube.com/ubc/ within 5-10 minutes after your upload is complete.
- You can also add your videos to existing playlists or create a new one if desired.
Using the Unlisted Option
Setting a video to 'unlisted' is a great way to put a video online while keeping it fairly private. An unlisted video will not show up in search or while browsing the UBC YouTube channel. It can only be viewed if someone has the direct link to the video. Furthermore, unlisted videos can be embedded into any webpage, so this might be a handy way for you to include a video in a WebCT Vista/Connect course or private blog.
Changes to an Uploaded Video
If you need to
- remove a video;
- switch between public/unlisted;
- change a videos license (from the Standard YouTube License to Creative Commons (CC BY), which gives the YouTube community the right to reuse and edit that video);
- or, modify any of its meta data, you will need to contact Joe Zerdin.