Syllabus Design (Teaching and Learning)
|This article is a stub. You can help the UBC Community by expanding it.|
|This page is part of the Teaching and Learning Resources Portal|
|Link to Complete Bibliography|
|For a complete bibliography, please visit the CTLT's shared folder on Refworks.
Having problems? Visit the RefWorks information guide.
- Afros, E., & Schryer, C. F. (2009). The genre of syllabus in higher education. Journal of English for Academic Purposes, 8(3), 224-233.
- Eberly, M. B., Newton, S. E., & Wiggins, R. A. (2001). The syllabus as a tool for student-centered learning. Journal of General Education, 50(1), 56-74.
- Ludwig, M. A., Bentz, A. E., & Fynewever, H. (2011). Your syllabus should set the stage for assessment for learning. Journal of College Science Teaching, 40(4), 20-23.
A compilation of online resources on syllabus design
Resources for Creating Syllabi
- A Learner-Centered Syllabus Helps Set the Tone for Learning (Faculty Focus Blog Post)
- Steps Toward a Big Idea Syllabus (Post by Dr. Michael Wesch)
- Links for Syllabus Design from the Center for Research on Learning and Teaching, University of Michigan
- Course Syllabus Checklist, McMaster University
- UBC Senate Syllabus Template
- Constructing a Syllabus Harriet W. Sheridan Center for Teaching and Learning, Brown University
- Syllabus Development Guide Center for Teaching and Learning,University of North Carolina
- Writing a syllabus - The IDEA Center Publications
- Riviere, J. (2014) Syllabus Design Guide. Retrieved November 23rd from http://cft.vanderbilt.edu/guides-sub-pages/syllabus-design/
Resources for Sample Syllabi
Many professional organizations and some institutions of higher education curate public databases or lists of syllabi. Below are a selection:
- Search all UT Austin syllabi
- List of syllabi dealing with sustainability
- Syllabi for German courses on all levels
- Syllabi dealing with the concept of nationalism
- Syllabi dealing with the study of literature and the environment
- Syllabi for Courses Related to Jewish History, Dinur Center for Research in Jewish History, The Jewish History Resource Center, Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- Syllabi for courses related to Jewish History
- Searchable Database of Syllabi Related to Africa, Center for African Studies, University of California, Berkeley
- searchable on-line database of syllabi relevant to African Studies and publicly posted to the World Wide Web
- list of Political Science syllabi
- list of media diversity syllabi
- searchable database of Sociology syllabi
- Syllabi on Bioethics and related fields
- Syllabi dealing with health and human rights
- Course Goals/Syllabus Database On the Cutting Edge-Professional Development for Geoscience Faculty, Carleton College
- Geoscience Syllabi and Course Goals
- behavioural medicine syllabi
- Browse Elon School of Law Syllabi
Business and Finance
- collection of social impact syllabi submitted by faculty from several MBA programs
- Syllabi dealing with Budgeting and Financial Management
Help Develop This Resource
Help develop this resource! You only need to login with your CWL to edit this page.
Let us know if you found this resource helpful by filling out this short feedback form.