At UBC Vancouver
All borrowers must hold a valid UBC/Library card and sign the Laptop Borrower Agreement. Laptops are available for 4 hours, non-renewable.
Laptop computers are available at:
- Irving K. Barber Learning Centre, Information Desk, Level 3
- Koerner Library at the Circulation Desk, Entrance Level
- Woodward Library at the Circulation Desk, Entrance Level
- David Lam Library at the Circulation Desk, Entrance Level
To see up-to-date availability, check the Laptop Computer entry in the UBC library catalogue.
For more information on using the laptops, please see our Laptop Q&A file.
At the help desk on level 3 of the Irving K. Barber Learning Centre, we have the following equipment available for loan to UBC students, faculty & staff:
The Canaccord Learning Commons also has equipment for loan to students in the Sauder School of Business. For more information, please visit the myBCom website.
Arduino Prototyping Platform
Courtesy of the Engineering Physics Department, six Arduino boards are available for 3-day loan to UBC students, faculty & staff. More information is available from the Engineering Physics Project Lab. For up to date availability, please see our holdings information page
- Woodward Library, Course Reserve area
Kill A Watt Meters
UBC Library has partnered with the Sustainability Office. These devices monitor energy usage of electrical equipment. For more information, see this news article. They are available at:
- Irving K. Barber Learning Centre
- Koerner Library
- Woodward Library
For up to date availability, please see our holdings information page.
At UBC Okanagan
Laptop and Netbook Lending
- Laptops may be borrowed at the Library Services Desk. All borrowers must show a valid UBC/Library card and sign the Laptop Borrower Agreement. At the time of signing, they must also present a piece of government-issued photo ID that has their signature.
- Laptops are available for 24-hour or week-long loans. They are due no later than one hour prior to the Library's closing time. The 24-hour computers may be taken out for the weekend if they are borrowed on Friday or Saturday.
- All laptops may be used outside the Library and can be signed out overnight.
- Renewals may be possible depending on availability of other laptops and the absence of other users waiting in turn for this equipment. However, laptops cannot be renewed over the phone. They must be renewed in person at the Library Services Desk with the laptop in hand.
- Laptops must be returned in person at the Library Services Desk. Users will be required to wait briefly so that library staff can verify that all equipment pieces have been returned.
- Users must report any laptop malfunctions and/or problems to library staff.
Fines and/or Replacement Charges
- Overdue fines for the late return of laptops are charged at the rate of $20.00 per hour with a maximum fine of $200.00 and suspension of borrowing privileges.
- The cost of a damaged or lost laptop and/or laptop accessories may result in replacement costs of up to $2500.00 in addition to any overdue fees incurred.
The UBC Okanagan Library also lends the following items to students, faculty and staff:
- Calculators (1-day loans)
- Cameras (3-day loans)
- Headphones (1-day loans)
- Mac adaptors for projector screens (maximum 6-hour loans)
- Smart Board kits (2-hour loans)
- White Board kits (2-hour loans; for in-library use)