Library:Free Web Images for Humanities and Social Sciences
From UBC Wiki
Humanities & Social Sciences Web Sources
Please note: Image and copyright permissions will vary across these resources, so it is important to read the image use guidelines or copyright policies on each site.
- An online collection of digitized images and audio materials collected by the African Studies Program at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- The complete work of Edward S. Curtis' The North American Indian, including all photogravures and texts.
- A joint initiative between UCLA and the Max Planck Institute for the History of Science, this searchable database contains photographs and illustrations of cuneiform tablets from 3350 BC to the end of the Christian era.
- A searchable gateway to images on the web depicting people, places and events from Canadian culture and history.
- A searchable database of historic materials from Library and Archives Canada. To search for available digitized materials, choose "Yes" from the drop down menu next to "Online". You can also select the type of material for which you want to search (maps, art, architectural drawings, photographs, etc.).
- An about.com page with links to a number of different resources for Canadian images (mostly historical).
- A database of historical and contemporary maps from selected Library of Congress collections.
- A collection of graphic materials from around the world relating to World War I and II.
- A collection of 500 public domain images depicting moments in American history.
- A collection of digitized photographs, illustrations, and maps depicting Western interactions in the Middle East in the 19th and early 20th Centuries.
- A database of over 4,500 images, videos and audio recordings related to performing arts around the world.