Documentation:WeBWorK/Merged Section VS Non-merged Section
The instructors/TAs who are in charge of multiple sections are often facing a decision whether to create a merged section WeBWorK course. Here are the pros and cons:
- Easy to manage, only one course to login, all the students and homework are in one place
- Only need to create homework once
- No need to transfer scores for those students who switched within merged sections
- Hard to separate, someone need to put the section info into the system to separate the students for scores or extract individual sections from exported data (see the Discussion page for a couple techniques for doing this).
- Cannot assign different open/due date to the same homework for different sections
- Instructor/TA will receive emails from the students from all sections when they use "Email Instructor" function in WeBWorK
- Clear separation. Exactly course mapping from SIS. Easy to download the score files
- Instructors/TAs in charge of the specific section can only see their own stuff
- Can assign different open/due date to the same homework for different sections
- Student may login to the wrong course and gets access denied.
- Need to login to multiple courses to manage (Thanks to the Shibboleth Single Sign On, you only need to login once as long as you don't click on logout before go to next section)
- Need to create the homework multiple times (The homework can be exported/imported once created)
- Need to transfer scores for those students who switched the sections
Hope it can help making the decision. Please feel free to add anything missing here.