Documentation:WeBWorK/How to Bulk Update Class List (e.g. Section)
Once the your WeBWorK course get created through Connect, you will have all your class list synchronized from Connect course. In some case, you want to update a field for many/all students, e.g. section information. Please note that only certain fields can be updated this way, those fields are:
The rest of the fields are synchronized with Connect. If you change them, they will be overwritten by the next update. If a student needs to change the name or email address, they need to do it in SIS/SSC. Then those update will be synchronized to WeBWorK automatically.
The following steps show you how to do it:
- Download the class list from WeBWorK
- Input the data
- The file you got is actually CSV file. To open it in Excel or other tools, you need to rename it from .lst to .csv
- You can either manually input the data or use something like vlookup
- Once you finish, remember to change the file extension back to .lst. Because WeBWorK only recognize lst files.
- Upload it back to WeBWorK
- Go to "File Manager" in WeBWorK
- Click on "Choose File" and select the file you have processed. (You may overwrite the exported file.) And click on "Upload"
- Go to "Classlist Editor2"
- Select "Import users from file YOUR_FILE.lst replacing any existing users and adding any new users" and click on "Take Action"
Your classlist should be updated.
For the detail of the classlist file format: http://webwork.maa.org/wiki/Classlist_Files#.UNDeDWp2HGs