Grades[edit | edit source]
Q: How do I organize my grade center?[edit | edit source]
There are several ways that you can organize your grade centre in Connect
- 1. Column Organization
- You can organize, hide and show columns in your course to organize the grade centre.
- Organize columns by clicking on Manage and scroll down to Column Organization
- From this view you can move columns to Not in the Grading Centre to Shown in All Grade Centre Views to make them not visible. You can also change column order.
- 2. Row Visibility
- Organize Rows by clicking on Manage and scroll down to Row Visibility
- From this view you can hide and show rows
- 3. Smart Views
- A Smart View is a focused look at the Grade Center. It shows only the data that matches a set of criteria. Smart Views are useful to quickly find data when the Grade Center includes a great number of students and columns. Blackboard documentation creating Smart Views
Q: How can I add a grade column?[edit | edit source]
Grade Columns represent any student effort that is measured. Columns for gradable items are added to the Grade Center automatically. Work that is not automatically graded can be measured in the Grade Centre by creating a Grade Column. To add a column:
- From the Grade Centre click Create Column
- Fill out the column information including the Column Tile and Grade Centre Name
- Set a Grade Category to manage the column more easily, select % or Grade Display
- Add Points Possible to the column and
- Indicate whether to Include this Column in Grade Center Calculations, Show this Column to Students, Show Statistics
- Click Submit
Q: How do I upload grades to Connect?[edit | edit source]
- To upload Grades to Connect begin by navigating to the Grade Centre and clicking Work Offline
- When uploading grades, first download the Grade Centre, and then edit the file with the data to be uploaded. This will help ensure that the data in the upload file is formatted correctly.
- To download the Grade Centre click Download select Full Grade Centre or select columns, select CSV to open directly in Excel.
- Click the Download button to download the file to your computer.
- Add your grades to the spreadsheet in Excel or another spreadsheet program.
- Once you have done this go back to Work Offline and click Upload review the Columns that are uploaded and click Submit.
Q: How do I export grades from Connect (and upload to Faculty Service Centre)?[edit | edit source]
Exporting Grades from Connect
- Go to Control Panel -> Grade Center -> Full Grade Center of your course
- Hover over the Work Offline button near the top-right, then choose "Download."
- Reformat the excel file, so that the first row of the excel file has the exact following column headers: Session, Campus, Student Number, Subject, Course, Section, Percent Grade and Standing.
- The column needs to be bolded, but the column can be in different orders.
- Use plain number or text only. Do not include formulas or images.
- If your Session starts with 0** (For example: 001), Excel will remove the 0. In this case, change the column format to number to a text column. To do this, right click on the section column> Select Format Cells> Under Category, Select Text>Press Ok.
- Make sure the file extension of your excel file is .xls format(Excel 97-2003 Workbook extension format ).
- Double check that the grades are correct.
- Double check that the order of the student listed in the Excel sheet is in the same order as they appear the Faculty Service Centre
Uploading to the Faculty Service Centre
- Access to Faculty Service Center
- From the top menu, click on Upload Grades
- At the upload grade window, choose Browse.
- Find your excel file and click ok. Then select Upload Files.
- After you have read the messages, click Continue with upload button.
Q: Why can't my students see their grade?[edit | edit source]
In order to show grades to students in your class, you'll need to do two things:
1. Add a "My Grades" link to your course menu.
- In your course, turn Edit Mode on (toggling on the button in the top right)
- Hover over the + icon in the top left above your course navigation menu, and click "Tool link"
- Select the "My Grades" tool in the Type menu, give the link a name, be sure "Available to Users" is checked, and click Submit.
2. Ensure the correct grade center columns are not hidden from students.
- Navigate to the Grade Center in the course navigation menu.
- Click the down arrow next to any column title, and click "Hide from Students (on/off)".
- If there is a circle with a red line through it in the header of the column, students won't be able to see it. If there is not, it will show up for them in the My Grades view.
You can check in Student View to see what a student will see and make sure you are showing the appropriate columns.