From UBC Wiki
- 1 Communication
Q: How can I email my class through Connect?
- The course email tool is a "send-only" tool. You can send messages from your course to other users' external email accounts.
Sending Emails in your Connect course:
- Go to Control Panel and select Course Tools > Send Email
- Select the recipients on the Select Users or Groups page
- Enter the Subject and Message.
- There is an option at the bottom of the editor to select "A copy of this email will be sent to the sender". - Select it if you want copy.
- Attach a file.
Q: Why can't I send emails in Connect?
Ensure you have an email address associated with your Connect profile.
- Go to the Global Navigation (found at the top left header where your name is located) > Settings > Personal Information > Edit Personal Information.
- If you find that your email address is missing, please contact your Instructional Support Unit or the LT-Hub as the email field is locked down.
Q: How do I update an email address for a Connect account?
- Faculty should contact the Instructional Support Unit and also update their email profile via the Faculty Service Centre to ensure data consistency.
- Students should contact their Enrolment Services Professionall.
Q: How do I post an announcement?
- Go to the Control Panel and select Course Tools > Announcements. Select Create Announcement on the action bar.
- Enter a Subject. (This is the title of the announcement on the Announcements page). Enter the content of your message.
- In the Web Announcements Options section, there are options to "restrict by date" or "not".
- If you choose Not Date Restricted, the announcement is visible until you remove it.
- If you choose Date Restricted, select the Display After and Display Until check boxes to enable the date and time selections. Enter the date and time restriction settings.
- Select the Email Announcement option to send students an email containing the announcement. The email is sent to all students in the course.
Q: How do I create a discussion forum?
There are two ways to add a discussion forum in connect:
Through the course menu:
- Highlight the “+” on the table of contents and click on “Add Tool Link”
- Type a name ie (Discussion Board) and choose the Type = Discussion
- Click on Submit
- Go into the newly Discussion board link and click on “Create Forum” to create a new discussion forum.
Through a content area:
- Navigate to the content area (for example, Course Documents or Content)
- From the Tools menu, select Discussion Board
- You can choose to create a link to the Discussion Board page where all forums will appear, select a specific discussion board forum that has already been created, or create a new Discussion Board forum.
Q: How do I add a thread to a discussion forum?
- Select a Discussion Board forum you wish to add to
- Click on the title of the forum you want to add a thread to
- Click the Create Thread button
- Enter the title of the message in the subject field.
- Enter conversation text in the message field.
- Click the Submit button to post your contribution to the forum