Documentation:Clickers/iClicker FAQ for students
- 1 Can I use an iClicker+ to answer questions?
- 2 Why do I get a red light when I vote?
- 3 Why won't my clicker turn on after replacing batteries?
- 4 My clicker ID has worn off. How do I find out what it is?
- 5 How do I change the clicker frequency?
- 6 Is there an app? Can I use my smartphone/laptop/tablet to answer clicker questions?
- 7 Why can't my i>clicker GO application connect to session even after my instructor has started the polling?
- 8 Where do I go to register my clicker?
- 9 Do I have to register my clicker for every course?
- 10 If I have registered my clicker in Vista, do I need to register again in Connect?
- 11 Can I have two clickers registered?
- 12 Can I share my clicker with a friend in another course?
- 13 What do I do if I have found a clicker?
Can I use an iClicker+ to answer questions?
Yes. An iClicker+ can be used to answer the same questions as an original iClicker remote, and either can be used to answer clicker questions. If you purchase a new clicker it will likely be the iClicker+ model which has added features but functions identically to the previous model.
Why do I get a red light when I vote?
This means that your answer was not received. Check to see that you are using the correct two-letter clicker frequency as posted at the front of the room (see the back of your remote for directions on changing this frequency). If you are using the correct frequency, you may need to replace the batteries in the clicker.
Why won't my clicker turn on after replacing batteries?
If you only replaced two batteries, the clicker will not turn on. There are three batteries in the clicker. Make sure you replace all the batteries. Gently tap one end of the clicker and the third battery will come out. Also note that you may have difficulty with Duracell brand batteries. They have a different shape than other brands and may not work with your clicker. Note: iClicker+ has only two batteries to replace.
My clicker ID has worn off. How do I find out what it is?
If your iClicker ID has faded or been worn off, bring it to the help desk at the Chapman Learning Commons to get the ID retrieved. The Chapman Learning Commons is on the 3rd floor of the Irving K Barber Learning Centre. For a map and hours of operation, click here.
How do I change the clicker frequency?
Each classroom has a two-letter frequency code to prevent interference between classrooms. Remotes will default to AA when turned off. See the front of the room for a sign displaying the frequency code for that room.
- A. Hold the On/Off (power) button on the clicker for about three seconds until the blue power light begins to flash.
- B. Press the two-letter code designated for the classroom. A green Vote Status light will indicate you have successfully changed your remote frequency.
This frequency will remain set for the duration of the lecture/session (as long as the remote is on). This procedure must be repeated for every lecture in the course. Note: iClicker+ remembers frequencies, and does not need to be reset for every lecture. Directions for changing a remote's frequency are on the back of every remote.
Is there an app? Can I use my smartphone/laptop/tablet to answer clicker questions?
See the i>clicker GO help page for information on iOS/Android iClicker apps and web browser-based voting options. Your instructor must enable this for your course before you can use it, and you will be required to purchase a subscription.
Why can't my i>clicker GO application connect to session even after my instructor has started the polling?
Let your instructor know about this issue that you are experiencing. Your instructor might need to update their software to i>clicker version 6.4.2 or newer to run i>clicker GO.
Where do I go to register my clicker?
For courses in Connect, follow the instructions at this link to register your clicker.
Do I have to register my clicker for every course?
You only have to register your clicker once. Your clicker will automatically register for other courses you are enrolled in.
If I have registered my clicker in Vista, do I need to register again in Connect?
Yes, even if you have registered your clicker in an old Vista course, you still need to register your clicker in Connect. Vista is no longer is use.
Can I have two clickers registered?
Yes, this is fine as long as someone else does not register your clicker under their name for the same course as you are in. If you use both clickers during the same lecture, your votes will be incorrectly recorded and you will not receive marks for your answers.
You and your friend should never be in the same class or section. If this is ever a possibility, do not share your clicker. If you are confident that this will never happen, then both you and your friend should register the clicker in Connect as if it is your own.
What do I do if I have found a clicker?
Lost clickers should be taken to the lost and found for the building they were found in.