- 30% of Final Mark
- The academic and experiential review thesis statement + paper are intended to provide you with the opportunity to reflect on and integrate what you have been reading and discussing in class, your own life experiences, experiences from your community-based experiential learning (CBEL) project, and scholarly perspectives.
- Critically analyze connections between food, health, and the environment within food security discourse
- Evaluate the contributions of food-related academic disciplines to addressing food security issues
- Identify and explore food-related issues through a food justice lens
- Integrate academic and community-based evidence to understanding food security issues
- Reflect on and assess personal experiences gained through participating in a collaborative community-based project
- Develop and disseminate knowledge through written communication
- Develop information literacy competencies through advanced search strategies in academic databases and non-academic sources
The paper should be 5 pages (max), double-spaced, 12pt font, and 2.54cm margins (page length excludes your references and appendix). You must integrate peer-reviewed articles and community-based perspectives. The thesis statement has an appendix for you to document your search process and your reasons for selecting the articles and information used. Please include the completed appendix at the end of the thesis statement. Use APA style for citations and references.
- Through a food justice lens, analyze an issue that relates to your community-based project.
- Identify and integrate academic and community-based perspectives on the issue to support your argument
- State the implications of your position
- Read the instructions for the paper
- Write your thesis statement following these guidelines: https://www.kibin.com/essay-writing-blog/thesis-statement-examples/
- List your academic references
- List your community-based sources of information
Research Methods Appendix
- You must complete the Library Research Skills for Land and Food Systems to complete the following appendix
For your thesis statement, you are required to demonstrate that you can use the CAB Direct Index to identify scholarly literature (although you may use articles from other search engines and indexes in your paper). The easiest way to access CAB Direct is through the UBC Library website Index and Database page.
1. Complete the interactive exercise available in Section 2B.03 (Activity break: Identify search terms) and use the output generated to fill in the following:
- Identify your research topic: ______________________
- Key concepts: _____________________
- Related keywords: ________________________
- Provide an example of how your key words can be combined using Boolean Operators for searching
2. Review section 4A.06 in the Library Tutorial on CAB Direct.
- Based on your keywords above provide a phrase you searched for (write it as you would in the Cab Direct search engine) and list the top 5 articles that occur.
3. Review sections 2C.01-2C.05 on Evaluating Evidence
- Briefly describe ONE of your community-based sources of information and evidence using the criteria in the Library Tutorial (use headings for each criteria and point form)