This is where I will post or jot down highlights and latest updates from each class.
- 1 June 2017: Pre-Class Survey and E-mail
- 2 Tuesday, July 4: Orientation, Lessons 01 and 02
- 3 Thursday, July 6: Lesson 02
- 4 Tuesday, July 11: Lessons 02, 03, and Team Work
- 5 Thursday, July 13: Midterm, Team Work, Lesson 04
- 6 Tuesday, July 18, Lessons 04, 05, and 06
- 7 Thursday, July 20, Lessons 06, 07, and some 08
- 8 Tuesday, July 25, Lessons 08 and 09, up to cheeses
- 9 Thursday, July 27, 2017: Midterm, Team Work, and Lesson 10
- 10 Tuesday, August 1, 2017: Lessons 10 and 11
- 11 Thursday, August 3, 2017: Lesson 12
- 12 Tuesday, August 8: Projects, Lesson 13, and Review
June 2017: Pre-Class Survey and E-mail[edit | edit source]
Before you come to class on Tuesday, I would like to invite you all to complete three tasks:
- Complete this quick pre-class survey: https://survey.ubc.ca/s/FNH200_942_2017_PreSurvey/
- Review the course syllabus, which you may access via: http://wiki.ubc.ca/Course:FNH200
- a link near the bottom of your first screen
- or a link in the Infobox on the right panel
- Browse through the first lesson:
See you on Tuesday!
Tuesday, July 4: Orientation, Lessons 01 and 02[edit | edit source]
Welcome to first day of class! This is my first time teaching in the summer in 3-hour long stretch. I hope to make your 'lectures' informative and fun at the same time. Today, I plan to:
- Explore who we are as individuals in class
- Explore the structure of the course
- Complete Lesson 01
- Begin Lesson 02
Introduction and Lesson 01[edit | edit source]
Guiding questions I will be using to structure our class activities:
What will be on the exam?
- All the Lessons as posted online, especially the activities that we asked you to explore.
- Additional information presented on as images, presentation slides, video, etc will not be on the midterms and exam.
- I reserved about 5% to ask questions that generated lots of discussion in class. I promise that I will make it very clear what extra 'may' go on the exam.
- About 10% of the final exam will be based on questions generated by you. Again, there will be a carefully generated (by you) and selected (by the TAs and me) list of questions.
Questions from Students:[edit | edit source]
Please ask questions you may have here:
Lesson 02[edit | edit source]
Watch this video for fun and learn about properties of sugar:
Thursday, July 6: Lesson 02[edit | edit source]
- I am reading your submissions on Assignment #1. Lovely! Thanks! I am hopeful that many of you will find answers to your inquiries in the next few weeks.
- Another thing... a dozen of you asked me for permission to gain access to Google Presentation for Lesson 2, but nobody ever asked for Lesson 01. I believe that I've set up the sharing privilege the same way for both Google Presentations. I don't know what went wrong???? Is any Google Doc Genie out there who knows why it is working sometime for some students?
- Create a Wikipedia account and enroll here:
Tentative Lesson Plan:
- 4:00 to 4:30: A guest speaker, Will Engle, will share some tips you will need to complete your team assignment and also Team Project Option B
- 4:30 to 5:00: A guest speaker, Jonathan Goh, member of the AMS Game Development Association, will show some possibilities around photosphere for those interested in Team Project Option A
- 5:00 to 5:10: Our official break time
- 5:10 to 6:50 with another break in between: Lesson 02
If you like to stick with a couple friends or if you like to form your own team, please let me know as soon as possible. I like to form the teams sometime next Monday so that you have a chance to meet each other on Tuesday before you work together for your midterm next Thursday.
Tuesday, July 11: Lessons 02, 03, and Team Work[edit | edit source]
- We will have visitors :)
- 4:00 to 4:10 - Quick Review: Carbohydrate, Fat and Protein
- 4:10 to 4:50 - Finish Lesson 02 - Protein as allergens, Water, Acids, Colourants & Aromatic Compounds, and Vitamins and Minerals
- 5:00 to 6:~~ - Finish Lesson 03
- 6:~~ to 6:50 - Meet your team
- Team # can be found on your Grade Book
- Get together with your Team
- Identify topics to work on for your Team Assignments (5%, start on Thursday and due on Tuesday, July 18): http://is.gd/fnh200
- Prepare for midterm (15%, Thursday, 4 to 5 pm): 2-stage exam, memory aided allowed, single-sided, however you like to prepare it (magnifying glass is allowed)
A short essay to help us understand functions of fat in foods:[edit | edit source]
Lesson 03 - Google Presentation[edit | edit source]
If this doesn't give you access, please try this: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1IbCEndtAEjpOn-qKqoR1RDOUZhyrCLNg7Lzn46IjaR0/edit?usp=sharing
Thursday, July 13: Midterm, Team Work, Lesson 04[edit | edit source]
- 4:00 to 4:35 - Individual Stage of the Midterm
- 4:40 to 5:10 - Team Stage
- 5:10 to 5:20 - BREAK
- 5:20 to 5:50 - Team Work + Pizza
- Team Assignment - is.gd/FNH200
- Team Contract - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1syf6Q40tbu7Nhknj6o-MgL5-E0ErsZqSBskQZd4xnFA/copy
- 5:50 to 6:00 BREAK
- 6:00 to 6:50 Lesson 04
Lesson 04 Google Presentations:
If this doesn't give you access, please try this: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1Q13KD0K7-2fAIwWfiSaKJHwgaLavz4e7Mmx7NLVxfEc/edit?usp=sharing
Tuesday, July 18, Lessons 04, 05, and 06[edit | edit source]
- 4:00 to 4:~~
- 4:~~ to 4:~~ - Lesson 04
- 5:00 to 5:50 - Team Assignment, Lesson 05
- 6:00 to 6:50 - Lesson 06
Lesson 05 Google Presentations[edit | edit source]
If this doesn't give you access, please try this: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/13OrFDPKVlu6xKnxV3I2xDymqOjK9OeyEOM_klFfjmT4/edit?usp=sharing
Lesson 06 Google Presentations[edit | edit source]
Videos on Youtube: How It's Made Tetra Pak Containers
Tetra Pak® A6 - Meet the filling machine for Tetra Evero® Aseptic
Final Exam: Thursday, August 17, 12 noon, MCML 166[edit | edit source]
Thursday, July 20, Lessons 06, 07, and some 08[edit | edit source]
- 4:00 to 4:50 - Thermal Death and Thermal Death Time Curves
- 5:00 to 5:50 - Lesson 07: Low temperature processing
- 6:00 to 6:15 - Lesson 08: Introduction to dehydration
- 6:15 to 6:50 - Team Work Time
Midterm on July 27, Will include some Lesson 09
Lesson 07 Google Presentations[edit | edit source]
Individually Quick Freeze (IQF) of sardines:
How to Make Frozen Treats:
Watch the video above and pay special attention to:
- The freezing technique
- The freezant
- Pasteurizing condition of the 'filling'
- Definition of homogenization of the ‘filling’
- Shelf Life and storage Instruction of the final product
Lesson 08 Google Presentations[edit | edit source]
Tuesday, July 25, Lessons 08 and 09, up to cheeses[edit | edit source]
- 4:00 to 4:50 - Review and Lesson 08
- 5:00 to 6:~~ - Lesson 09: Up to cheeses
- 6:50 - Community Interview and Photosphere team, please stay behind for some photosphere instruction
Fermentation of soy sauce in two types of production facilities:
Small scale production
LARGE scale production
This is a pretty easy to follow clip, a bit funny and has all necessary science content needed for FNH 200
This shows less science, but the machine is shinier than those in the clip above.
This video is even clearer than the one above, but I feel there is less science content.
Lesson 09 Google Presentations[edit | edit source]
Thursday, July 27, 2017: Midterm, Team Work, and Lesson 10[edit | edit source]
- 4:00 to 4:40 - Individual stage of the midterm
- Please write your name and student number on both the question and answer sheets
- Please fill out the 'bubble' for your student number
- 4:40 to 5:15 - Team stage of the midterm
- Pizza should be delivered by now; enjoy!
- 5:15 to 5:50 - Team project planning time; please let me know your project topic if you haven't done so: http://wiki.ubc.ca/Course:FNH200/2017s/TeamProjects#2017s_Project_Topics
- 5:50 to 6:00 - Please fill out this survey on Judy's teaching: https://survey.ubc.ca/s/FNH2002017/
- 6:00 to 6:50 - Lessons 09 and 10
Lesson 10 Google Presentations[edit | edit source]
Here is the full link:
Tuesday, August 1, 2017: Lessons 10 and 11[edit | edit source]
- Community Interview Team - Please e-mail your photosphere photo to Michael.
Thank you for your feedback. You may view your comments and my responses here:
- 4:00 to 4:50 - Lesson 10
- 4:50 to 5:00 - BREAK
- 5:00 to ~~ - Lesson 11
Lesson 11 Google Presentations[edit | edit source]
Here is the full link:
This is indeed a very good introduction/summary of how irradiation works as a food preservation technique.
Thursday, August 3, 2017: Lesson 12[edit | edit source]
Lesson 12 Google Presentations[edit | edit source]
Here is the full link:
Two videos around HACCP:
Tuesday, August 8: Projects, Lesson 13, and Review[edit | edit source]
Assignment #3 - Individual: Due August 15, at noon[edit | edit source]
Please remember to complete your Assignment #3 by Tuesday, August 15, at noon.
Team Project Exam Question: Due Thursday at noon[edit | edit source]
Please submit your exam question by Thursday at noon. Sorry for the tight timeline. I need to select which questions you need to 'study' for the final exam and let you know in class on Thursday.
The rest of the project and your team reflection is due on Friday, August 11, at 11:59 pm.
Peer Evaluation[edit | edit source]
Peer Evaluation is now available via a tool, iPeer, on Connect. Please complete it by Friday, August 11, at 11:59 pm.
(Left Panel > Course Tools > iPeer)
Lesson 13 Google Presentations[edit | edit source]
Here is the full link: