|APBI 327 Introduction to Entomology|
|Instructor:||Dr. Yasmin Akhtar|
|Dr. Murray Isman|
|Important Course Pages|
A survey of the structure, classification and biology of insects; ecology and life-histories of insects; and insect-plant relations.
Instructors: Dr. Yasmin Akhtar and Dr. Murray Isman
Recommended Lecture Text: Gullen PJ & PS Cranston (2010), The Insects. An Outline of Entomology, 4th Ed. Blackwell Science, Oxford.
Recommended Lab Text: Bland and Jaques (2010). How to Know the Insects, 3rd Ed. Waveland Press Inc., Illinois.
Course Website: www.vista.ubc.ca
At the end of this course, students will know:
- The major morphological features of insects
- Unique anatomical and physiological characteristics of insects
- Basic insect biology and ecology
- How insects affect/influence/interact with humans
- How to identify insects to the level of Order
For Lecture Schedule and Lab Schedule, see course:APBI327/Schedule
Proposed mark distribution (subject to modification by the instructor):
|Insect Collection OR Lab Exam||25%|